Sunday, March 17, 2013

Sometimes, a mama just needs a break...

It's Sunday afternoon.
March 17, 2013.
I have been home alone since late Friday afternoon (well, until today...not actually home much, but without husband AND kids. I am home alone until approximately 9:30am tomorrow morning.)
...the longest bout of alone time in my home for about a year and a half....or more.
I was supposed to still be in Texas with family (coming in a post this week), but needed to come back to work on a few things Friday evening and for a meeting yesterday...so I did. With that, I was blessed with "mommy time" today. heehe! I am quite certain the boys are fine without me. Although the evidence below certainly would not suggest that...


Random: I am listening to Blake Shelton's "Sure be Cool if You Did" and "Here's to the Good Times" by Florida Georgia Line on You Tube and watching "Flirting with Forty" that I drove too far to rent from a local Blockbuster (because it's the only video store within like a 20 mile radius besides Redbox next door, which only has the newer stuff).

I woke up at 9am this morning and read my Bible (Hosea actually...we are studying that in Sunday School). I then drank a big glass of water, threw on my baggy black workout pants, an ancient Old Navy tank and worked out to Billy Blanks PT 24/7. (the workout video that I have had since sometime last year and have only used a handful of times.) Afterwards, I then drove to my church during the middle of the 11:00 hour in blue jeans and a long-sleeve grey tshirt, parked at the front door, dashed inside praying everyone would be either in class or in the church service and headed straight for the cafe where I purchased not one, but two chai tea lattes for $2 total. The best chai tea lattes around and only a buck...and only available on Sunday's!! I was having withdrawals from them after missing church last week while we were in Texas and decided I couldn't stand it any longer. Much to my dismay, the cafe area had not cleared out at all but I stayed focused and headed straight for the counter anyway. You see, I am at church every Sunday. The kids and I rarely miss. I volunteer for both my kid's Sunday School classes. I am on Leadership for our Young Couple's class and I, like my daddy was, can't take 4 steps before I have to stop and talk to someone I know each week that I am there. So, I was a little concerned that I wouldn't make it to the counter without someone coming up to me to ask why I looked like I had just rolled out of bed without showering to come in the middle of the hour to grace them with my presence. I might have looked around nervously, had my brother not just called me a few minutes before I pulled into the church to congratulate me on my "vacation day." He was at the office and about to take a lunch break and decided to call and catch up. If anyone saw me, I wouldn't know. I made a beeline for the front door, Chai Lattes in hand and cell phone stuck to my ear, climbed in our Ford Explorer and pressed the gas pedal for home, all the while thanking God for my $1 chai tea lattes that would soon be bringing a big smile to my face...and for this day of rest for one.tired.mama.

Some might think I am a horrible person for skipping church today only to drive up in the middle of one the sermons and run to the cafe to grab a chai tea latte-- actually two lattes to be clear. Others might think it is weird. And well, for those of you who know me personally, you are probably laughing and saying, "Good for you!" ...at least that's what my friend Susie said when I called and asked her permission to skip this morning :)
(P.S. No worries if you are one of the parents whose child I have in my Sunday School class; we had a fabulous sub for you! I didn't leave your child hanging. And there are no plans in the near future of my missing anymore class time. ;))

I think as mom's we are so hard on ourselves day in and day out. I know I am. We think we have to be on top of everything all the time. I do anyway. And for the most part, thanks to a natural abundant amount of energy and an insufficient amount of sleep most nights, I feel like I can get most of my stuff done (never all...but a lot of it). Terra, I know your 30th birthday was back in January and I promise I have your card and happy right here on the 3rd shelf of my 5 tiered bookcase downstairs; it has actually been packaged up since before Christmas..since I was so on top of purchasing it ahead of time. Obviously, the distribution of the package to the post office has not gone as smoothly, but I promise it will get there one of these days. I will totally make it up to you when I am in G-town this summer. Mama Sam, your pictures that I told you would be at Walgreens last month will be there soon. I haven't forgotten. :) And for those of you who sent me an email or sent a message on facebook in the last several weeks and I haven't responded yet...well, that might take a little longer but I will get back to you one of these days. :) And for my clutter piles that I had hoped to go through this weekend that I haven't gotten around too, I am sure you will be there waiting patiently for me when time comes and I am in the mood to declutter. To the albums and years worth of pictures laid out on our guest room bed right now ready for creative time, you are in the back of my mind. I smile each time I think of you; however, apparantly today I needed to write and read instead. I look forward to our time together in the future.

Sometimes, a mama just needs a break.

You see, there has been a lot going on around here lately (by lately, I mean the last 12 months.) No more than many others out there have going on at any given time but still, a lot for us. Everyone goes through times in life where things are more routine and steady and then one will experience a steady stream of trials and tribulations, which in ways I am truly thankful for, because I know that during those times is when I grow the most. Growth in my faith, growth in my own maturity, growth in peace and in patience for the unknown. Our time of steadiness was back in 2009 and 2010. :) Since then, life has been a whirlwind and promises to be for a bit longer I suspect. One day, I will probably share more, but today I am not quite ready. I go back and forth on how much to share on this blog, knowing that anyone and everyone could open it up and see straight into my heart...straight into our lives. The good, the yucky, the fun and the not-so-fun. Ha! I should put a sign up at the top that says, "Enter at your own risk!"

I may have mentioned this before but this blog was started for 3 main reasons: 1. I like to write and take pictures (and document our day to day) 2. To share with our family and back-home friends who we usually only see a few times a year and 3. to serve as a partial scrapbook for this overbooked mama who will probably always be "behind" in the albums for her kids. With that being said, I am aware that several others (who I don't know personally) read my random ramblings, and I am often wary that my words will be taken the wrong way or at least the way they were not intended. It has been hard for me to update this past year, so when I am popping in, I try hard to post things that will reflect a more positive light; however, life is not all butterflys and warm, sunny moments. Matthew 5:14-16 tells us that “You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. 15 Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. 16 In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven."

My prayer is that in spite of my shortcomings and whatever crazy things I post on here, that you will sense my true heart and where I stand in my faith. I am a sinner who has the most forgiving and loving Father and thankfully loves me in spite of my shortcomings every single day. I will go into more about my beliefs, but that is for another post on another day. ;)

For now, a few more random pictures that make me smile as I am thinking about my boys. I don't believe I ever posted these from last Fall, but I love them so much and thought they would be fun to share. These were taken by Debbie Britt, a sister of a friend of mine, who likes to play with photography on the side. I think she does a pretty amazing job...especially when you are trying to capture 2 very active little boys. Thank you Debbie!!






...and to stay true to the actual moment...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

u have really cute kids :)

desimiss.blogspot.com