Friday, March 15, 2013

our word for 2013: PEACE

Towards the end of last year, I decided I wanted our family to have a focused word that would be reflected upon throughout our daily lives in the upcoming year. The word was easily chosen as it was the one pressed upon my heart the most: PEACE. Before we had even started a mountain of trials in the new year, the word had made a lasting impression on my soul and I found myself thanking God over and over for placing this particular word in our lives at just the right time. I am still working on ways to introduce our family "theme" in creative forms monthly throughout the year to our boys. My hope is for their hearts to receive a special little tug whenever they think and hear of the word "peace."

Three out of the five Merriam-Webster dictionary definitions of peace are as follows:

Peace:
1 : a state of tranquility or quiet
a: freedom from civil disturbance
b: a state of security or order within a community provided for by law or custom peace

2 : freedom from disquieting or oppressive thoughts or emotions
 
3 : harmony in personal relations
 
When I see and think of the word "peace," I think of a quietness that does not leave me even in the midst of trials. A comforting and peaceful feeling in the midst of the chaos and confusion. I recently went through the concordance in the back of my Bible and looked up all the Scripture verses listed under "Peace."
 
Here are my favorites:
  • Psalm 29:11
  • Psalm 46:10
  • Psalm 119:65
  • Proverbs 14:30
  • Isaiah 26:3
  • Isaiah 32:17
  • Isaiah 48:18
  • Isaiah 57:2
  • John 14:27
  • John 16:33
  • Romans 5:1
  • Romans 8:6
  • Galations 5:22
  • Philippians 4:7
  • Colossians 3:15
  • 1 Peter 3:11
  • 2 Thessalonians 3:16

(I found the frame above on clearance at Target after the holidays and thought it could serve as a decorative reminder for our family throughout our days of 2013.)

No comments: