Monday, June 21, 2010

a sweet reminder about friendship

Documented Saturday, June 19, 2010
Conversation with Parker:
After playing for several hours with friends/neighbors, Alexia and McKenzie, Parker and I came home for a quick lunch and nap. He was sitting at the kitchen table as I was preparing our lunch. I asked him what his favorite thing was about playing at Alexia and McKenzie's.
His response: "Ummm, paying wif Lexie and Kensie." (sounds something like Lesee and Tensie)
I responded, "Well, what is your favorite thing to play when you go over there?"
Parker: "paying with Lesee and Tensie."
Me: "That's fun. Do you like to play with the lawn mower and help mow the grass?"
Parker: "Yes."
Me: "Did you have a good time playing in the pool?"
Parker: "Yup."
Carrie (thinking he didn't understand the original question): "So what is your very favorite thing to do at Alexia and McKenzie's?"
Parker (very confidently and matter of factly): "Umm, paying with Lesee and Tensie."

It hit me like a ton of bricks. I am such a fool sometimes. My two and a half year old had just reminded me of a very important lesson. Life should not be valued from your material possessions, but the relationships that you carry daily. Here I was trying to get him to understand and correctly answer my question by telling me his favorite thing about playing at his friends' house and he was stating the response all along..the simple, sweet and pure answer.
His favorite thing about playing at Alexia and McKenzie's house has nothing to do with things...it's simply being able to play with his friends


Thank you, Parker, for that sweet reminder.

No comments: