Sunday, February 20, 2011

documented: our wintry, stormy day

As I type this, Clay (and a dear neighbor) are outside working on our driveway --for the second time today. Currently, over in our neck of the woods we have had over 14 inches of snow dumped on us....today...since 10 am this morning. Oh, and don't worry...it's still falling and will supposedly continue for quite some time..at least until tomorrow morning is the current word. But hey, dear hubby is home, so I am quite the happy bird! He spoils us when he's home with fires in the fireplace and taking care of all the cold, hard, yucky winter things that I like to observe, but not do -- unless I have to! :)

 Let me fill you in on our day. These pictures were taken this afternoon on our way home from church and from having lunch with friends....low visibility would be an understatement. (And here yesterday we were laughing because we were grilling out and skiing in the backyard...as a friend said earlier in the day, "Only in Minnesota.")



As we're loading the boys up in the car to head to church this morning, Clay says, "Oh, I've got to run down to the basement to grab the sleeping bag real quick."
I'm thinking, "What are we doing here? An overnight at the church?"
He comes back out, pops the trunk to put the sleeping bag in and I notice a shovel, snowbrush, extra blankets, gloves and other winter gear.
Me: "Ok, seriously Clay, if it's going to be that bad, why are we even going?"
Clay: "Oh, it's just a precautionary thing." as he waves his hand like no big deal.

We get to church and the snow starts falling...fast and hard. We had a total of 8 people in our Sunday School class of over 80 members...and that included the teacher, Clay and me.

We were delivering a meal to some friends of ours who recently had a baby, so we left immediately after church to run to their house. They had invited us to eat with them so after staying for lunch and driving back in the winter storm it was about 3:30 before we arrived home...Clay loving every part and minute of it.

To give those of you who care, a glimpse inside our car on the way home...

Wee Sing Bible Songs cd playing...Parker singing "This Little Light of Mine" and his favorite, "I'm in the Lord's Army" (which he had us play over and over and over and over...) :)

Cooper hanging out in his car seat playing with his links...happy just to be there.

Me taking pics of the weather conditions (as we passed a news crew doing a take on the current weather conditions, more than a few snow plows and quite the handful of cars abandoned on the side of roads due to car trouble.)

And then there was Clay...(with a smile on his face the whole time)
"Wow, this is really tight quarters. I've gotta get out of this spot so we have an out in case we start spinning."
....
Pointing over to the right of the road, "See, they've plowed all this now."
...
"Baby, check out this snow drift on my left side...I hope we can get in our neighborhood."
...

It was all about the weather and road conditions for the next hour. Have I mentioned how much my husband loves a challenge? He actually thrives on continuously practicing his cautious, winter driving skills on a regular basis. (I don't know what he'll do when we move back South...I'll have to redirect his passion for driving on snow somehow) :)
Have I mentioned, also, that if my husband wasn't a pilot he would be a phenomenal meteorologist. Another fabulous thing about being married to him is I don't have to watch the news or weather (I never have watched or wanted to watch either one...but I would definately choose the weather over the news.) I know he will call me if he's not at home to update me on anything I need to know. I tease him lovingly about it because in truth, I love that he is that way :) I just call him when I need to know what's going on in the world or how cold it's going to be the next day. Anyway, I couldn't help but smile at how excited he got while talking about the possible weather conditions over the next 24 hrs...picture a giddy little boy ready to romp around in the snow for an afternoon.

So, in our winter driving wrap-up, we made it home safe and sound without any issues, thanks to dear hubby. Would I have been out driving in it? That would be N-O. But that's why I have my man...it's always a fun adventure when he's around.
....and later in the day...

No nap for Parker = a need for creativity (aka something/anything to do) prior to bedtime to keep parent A and parent B from going insane

The paints came out.

Oh and what creative little visions popped into my head. I got a little excited over the neat things he could paint...snowmen, a house with snow piled in the front yard...I suggested everything I could think of that he would get pumped about. I couldn't wait for my painting that would proudly adorn the fridge. However, I think he was brewing other creative visions in his little head; he preferred just to paint himself and slap paint every which way on the paper. (As you can see from the picture above, I tried to get current handprints for his album...Clay laughed at me on that one.)

5 minutes after the paints came out (if that): "I done Mama!" (as he holds up his nicely painted arms, hands, shirt...)

On to our next venture ;)
 
And I can't not share this sweet, blue-eyed wonder with you...
Hope everyone has a warm and happy evening!

No comments: