Friday, November 13, 2009

Bermuda scrapbook & details

Here's a peek into my latest completed project...do you remember this trip?
While on our trip to Bermuda, Tressa gave each of us girls a matching stack of scrapbooking supplies to use to help put together our individual albums. At the end of the post, I'll try & list as many of the supplies as I can remember. Anyway, I'm really looking forward to seeing the other girls' albums; it will be fun to see how everyone used the same supplies in totally different ways & techniques!
I started & almost completed this album shortly after we got back from our summer trips. ("almost completed" meaning I had put together all but about 4 of the pages & still had the journaling to do. I think it took me a total of somewhere around 8-10 hours to complete the 34 pages). I finished the journaling & put the finishing touches on it this week. I LOVE the feeling of a completed project...it's almost up there with chocolate!!!
In my scrapbooks, I like to not only include the details of the trip itself, but also the history & some fun facts about where we are visiting (because there is no possible way that I will remember ANY of it when we get back if I don't...the history of the place I mean!)
So here's what I did with all the memorabilia...I attached things like a postage stamp, a brochure, airline ticket stubs & a cut-out from a menu from my favorite restaurant that we visited while there...all of this went on the first page of the memorabilia stuff. Next, I slid the rest of my collection down into 2 clear pocket page protectors. (Before the brochures & such went in the album, they were in my "memorabilia box," which is this cute, black decorative box that sits on the floor in Parker's room. One of the reasons I get so excited about scrapbooking is that by completing albums I weed out "unnecessary" clutter that just sits in the memorabilia box. I go through the items cutting, trimming, tearing & only keeping the things I really want. I actually end up throwing away most of what I bring home from trips...Now, my husband who does not hold on to clutter, would say, "There wouldn't be clutter to go through in the first place if you just opted not to bring it home from the trip from the get-go." However, I will bring the "paper stuff" home because it's important to me...it should be a part of the scrapbook. So...my husband just shakes his head & loves me for it anyway! ;) To hold the things in place, I found some handy office clips & paper clips that added to the charm of the page, but also worked as nice little placement holders.

In the very back of the album, I included the story of how the four of us met & came together as friends.
One of the things I love to do in my scrapbooking is to include some trip memorabilia on the pages as embellishments! Postage stamps & postcards are favorites of mine! Some people collect match boxes & pilsner glasses...I collect postcards & postal stamps. :)
I had fun playing around with the rub-ons that came in our supply stash. As you can see in the picture below, some went right on the picture rather than on the paper itself.
Cost-saving techniques: Use your scraps as embellishments. Also, grab the stapler out of the office; it can present a fun look to the page!
My scrapbooking style is chronological...I have tried other ways, but it bugs me so much to not have the pages in order, that in the end, I have to go back & reorganize them all. So for this trip, the pages go from beginning to end & then I have a "summary of the trip" that has details & journaling. Next, is the memorabilia & then lastly, the story of the MN Girls.
The album is an 8x8 (which made it so much easier & faster to complete!).
Supplies: Euphoria by Basic Grey(basically used the entire line), Bazzill cardstock, Zip black & brown pen, Archival spray, adhesive, "our story" by Ali Edwards, misc: staples, office clips, paper clips

2 comments:

valerie said...

Sitting here with my mouth hanging open! Awesome job!! You are SOOOOO talented! Love you!

Shutterbug Mama said...

I love your scrapbook!