Monday, July 20, 2009

summer salad


We LOVE to eat salads in the summertime...here's one of my favorites! This is a recipe my mom gave me from her recipe box; it originally came from my Aunt Christy (and I believe she got it from one of her cookbooks.)

You will need:
1 bag baby spinach
1 bag mixed green lettuce
Broccoli pieces
Cauliflower pieces
(can also use mushrooms, purple onions, avocado)
mandarin oranges or strawberries (I used strawberries this time)
Pecans

Toss greens in large bowl. Top with all of above ingredients that are desired. Mix dressing. Do not pour dressing over salad unless you plan to eat it all at one time. (Just use dressing as you need it.)

Dressing:
1/4 c sugar or splenda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp dry mustard
1 TBS onion juice
1/4 c cider vinegar
3/4 c salad oil (olive oil)
1 TBS poppyseed
1/4 c cottage cheese
1/4 c soft bacon bits

Shake well.

Note: The measurements in this recipe feed a larger group; if you are cooking for two & will not be able to eat the leftovers within a week or so, I would use less measurements.
This time, I cut up extra broccoli, cauliflower & strawberries and put in a ziploc bag to be able to use for future salads. I doubled the dressing recipe & put all of the dressing in a water bottle so that I could shake it again prior to use at dinner. (I just took a cute serving bowl to pour it in immediately before use.) I originally made this for a cookout on Wednesday, but am now able to enjoy the yummy leftovers for lunch this week. All I need is the lettuce, my ziploc bag with the goods, the cottage cheese, bacon bits & pecans (which I don't measure in my personal salads) & the dressing in the water bottle to shake and pour. Vwaahla! You have a yummy super-delicious salad!

(It's also great for Parker's lunch because I can just take a spoonful of the broccoli, cauliflower, & strawberries from the ziploc bag, a little turkey & cheese & he's good to go!)

1 comment:

valerie said...

I'm so glad you posted this recipe! Your mom has talked about it for years!