Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Chicken Spaghetti from the Heart

Recently, our Sunday School Class has had a lot of new little additions to the families :) so we have been rotating taking food to each of the new mom's. This time, I thought I would whip up some hearty Chicken Spaghetti with a Mandarin Orange Salad & some french bread. It is such a great meal & I love how much it makes up at one time.
*For my own cooking, I added more noodles (I used a little less than a whole box) & was amazed at how "topping heavy" it still was!! I was able to get three 8x8 containers out of the recipe.

Chicken Spaghetti
4 chic breasts, cooked & cut up
7 oz spaghetti
1 qt. chic broth
1 stick oleo
1 lg onion
1 lg green pepper
1 can RoTel, drained
1 sm can English peas, drained
1 sm jar pimento, drained
1 (4oz) can mushroom pieces, drained
1 sm can water chestnuts, drained & sliced
1 lb Velveeta or American cheese

Saute onion & pepper in oleo. Add RoTel, peas, mushrooms & pimento; set aside. Cook spaghetti in chicken broth; drain. While still hot, add cheese that has been cut in pieces. Stir till cheese is melted. Mix with first ingredients. Bake at 300 degrees for 15 or 20 minutes. Freezes well. Makes 2 casseroles.

"In memory of Velma Lott. She made this several years for the Pilot Club fundraiser."

This recipe came from my hometown church's (First Baptist Grenada) "Endless Blessings" Cookbook. I have had this for less than a year, and have found so many delicious meals in this book. I shouldn't be surprised though...a lot of these were meals that our family grew up on...the recipes in here are tried and true. Brought to many church & community functions, recipes passed through families, meals delivered to the home in times of need...when I make some of these, I realize that they are not just ingredients and baking instructions but meals from the heart.

No comments: